Include these calming, spiritual bathing rituals in your self-care routine to wash away negativity and refresh your body, mind, and spirit.
I often think I was a mermaid in a past life because I’ve loved long, hot baths since I was a child. Water soothes and comforts me. It makes me feel cleansed and calm. I love spending time near beaches and lakes. If you feel the same way, you may enjoy the benefits of spiritual bath rituals for emotional self-care.
Magical and ancient bathing rituals around the world often harness the mystical energy of the moon in a cleansing bath for full moons or new moons to purge away negativity and promote inner harmony, providing a restorative experience for body and mind alike.
Soothing one’s mind, body, and spirit by submerging oneself in the waters during this celestial event is like giving oneself a spiritual bath. If you don’t have a proper bathtub, you can get a compact folding tub that fits even in small bathrooms.
Here are some reasons why you should consider adding a cleansing negative energy bath ritual to your emotional self-care routine:
- Relaxation and Stress Relief: Taking a bath can be incredibly calming and soothing. It helps to relax your muscles, release tension, and reduce stress. Bath rituals provide an opportunity to unwind and create a peaceful environment that promotes relaxation.
- Emotional Release: Bath rituals allow you to release negative emotions and promote emotional healing. The warm water, combined with visualization techniques and affirmations, helps to let go of negativity, foster a sense of renewal, and promote emotional well-being.
- Physical Rejuvenation: Bathing rituals often involve the use of Epsom salts, bath oils, or other therapeutic ingredients. These can provide physical benefits such as muscle relaxation, improved circulation, and alleviation of aches and pains. They can also enhance the overall health and appearance of your skin.
- Mindfulness and Mind-Body Connection: Bath rituals offer an opportunity to practice mindfulness and strengthen the connection between your mind and body. By focusing on the sensations of the water, the scents, and the overall experience, you can cultivate a state of presence and deepen your self-awareness.
- Self-Care and Self-Nurturing: Engaging in a bath ritual is a powerful act of self-care and self-nurturing. It allows you to prioritize your well-being, create sacred time for yourself, and indulge in a sensory experience that promotes self-love and self-compassion.
- Ritual and Symbolism: Rituals have been used for centuries as a way to mark transitions, set intentions, and create a sense of meaning. Bath rituals provide a symbolic and ceremonial space where you can intentionally release negativity, invite positive energy, and cultivate a sense of personal transformation.
- Improved Sleep: Taking a bath before bedtime can help improve the quality of your sleep. The relaxation and stress relief provided by a bath ritual can prepare your mind and body for a restful night’s sleep, promoting a sense of rejuvenation and well-being.
- Health Benefits: Hot baths can promote muscle relaxation and relieve tension, soothing both the body and the mind. Additionally, they may help improve circulation, aiding in the reduction of inflammation, and can even help with weight loss and promoting overall well-being. Research has shown that relaxing in a hot bath can burn about 140 calories – as many as a 30-minute walk.
Bathtub Ritual for Releasing Negative Emotions
The benefits of spiritual bath cleansing rituals may vary from person to person. It’s important to find rituals and practices that resonate with you and align with your specific needs and preferences.
Step 1: Preparation
- Begin by creating a serene and calming atmosphere in your bathroom. Dim the lights, light some candles, and play soft, soothing music.
- Fill the bathtub with warm water and add a handful of Epsom salt or your favorite bath salt for spiritual cleansing (I use Himalayan pink salts). The benefits of a spiritual salt bath ritual for spiritual cleansing include purification and detoxification of the body, the removal of negative energies, and the restoration of inner balance.
- Add a few drops of essential oils known for their calming and uplifting properties, such as lavender, chamomile, clary sage, or rose.
- Light incense or do a smudging ritual. It will help to cleanse your bathing environment from negative energies.
This is my bath setup with a cute little Buddha backflow incense burner, candle, and Himalayan pink salts.
Step 2: Setting Intentions
- Stand near the filled bathtub and take a few deep breaths, allowing yourself to relax and let go of any tension.
- Reflect on the emotions you wish to release. Visualize them as a heavyweight or dark cloud surrounding you.
- Set your intention to release any emotions that no longer serve you, and invite a sense of peace and emotional healing into your life.
Step 3: Cleansing Bath
- Slowly lower yourself into the warm water, feeling its soothing embrace envelop your body.
- Close your eyes and focus on the sensations of the water, allowing it to wash away your stress and negativity.
- As you soak, visualize the negative emotions dissolving and being released into the water. If you feel the need to cry to release emotions, this is a good time to do it. Imagine these heavy emotions being replaced by a bright light or a sense of tranquility.
Step 4: Affirmations and Mantras
- While in the bath, repeat positive affirmations or mantras that resonate with you. These can be simple phrases like, “I release and wash away all emotions that no longer serve me and embrace inner peace,” or “I am deserving of love and happiness.”
- Repeat these affirmations or mantras out loud or silently, allowing their positive energy to permeate your mind and spirit.
- If you like to pray to the Angels and Archangels, say a prayer for protection (to Archangel Michael) and healing (to Archangel Raphael).
- You can do a round of tapping or EFT to work on the specific negative emotions that you want to release.
- You can also listen to a soothing guided meditation for releasing negative emotions (you’ll find many on YouTube).
Step 5: Reflection and Gratitude
- Spend a few moments in quiet reflection, acknowledging your released emotions and expressing gratitude for the opportunity to heal.
- Gently drain the bathtub, visualizing all the negativity being washed away with the water.
Step 6: Self-Care
- Step out of the bath feeling lighter and refreshed. Take time to pamper yourself with a soft towel and do any self-care rituals that make you feel nurtured.
- Don’t forget to moisturize your skin with a nourishing body moisturizer and drink lots of water after soaking in a hot bath as it can dehydrate your skin and strip it of its natural oils.
Alternative Shower Ritual for Releasing Negative Emotions
If you don’t have a bathtub to soak in, here’s an alternative shower ritual for releasing negative emotions.
Step 1: Preparation
- Create a peaceful and calming environment in your bathroom. Adjust the lighting to a soft glow and play soothing music if desired.
Step 2: Mindful Showering
- Stand under the warm water and take a few deep breaths, allowing yourself to relax and be present in the moment.
- As the water flows over your body, imagine it washing away any negative emotions or tension you may be carrying.
- Feel the sensations of the water on your skin and focus on the cleansing and purifying aspects of the shower.
Step 3: Visualization and Release
- Close your eyes and visualize the negative emotions as dark clouds or heavy weights that are being washed away by the water.
- Imagine them dissolving and disappearing, leaving you feeling lighter and free from their burden.
- Stay in this visualization for a few minutes, allowing the water to carry away the negativity.
Step 4: Affirmations and Self-Talk
- While in the shower, repeat positive affirmations or engage in self-talk that reinforces your desire to release negative emotions.
- Say empowering statements such as, “I let go of all negativity and embrace positivity and joy,” or “I am worthy of love and happiness.”
Step 5: Gratitude and Reflection
- Take a moment to express gratitude for the opportunity to release negative emotions and for the cleansing power of the shower.
- Reflect on the positive changes you wish to cultivate in your life and set an intention to move forward with a lighter heart.
Step 6: Mindful Exit
- When you feel ready, turn off the shower and take a deep breath. Allow yourself to fully absorb the positive energy you have cultivated during the ritual.
- Pat yourself dry with a towel, moisturize your skin with a nourishing body moisturizer, and drink water to stay hydrated.
- End your cleansing bath ritual with a round of tapping or EFT to work on the specific negative emotions that you want to release and carry the renewed sense of lightness and positivity with you throughout the day.
Don’t just restrict yourself to a cleansing bath for New Moon rituals. Make these calming and spiritual bathing rituals a part of your self-care routine to help you unwind, gain perspective, wash away negativity, and refresh your body, mind, and spirit.
- Ritual Baths for Empowerment Energy Raising Good Luck Happiness Harmony Love
- Moon Bath: Bathing Rituals and Recipes for Relaxation and Vitality
- Ritual Baths: Be Your Own Healer
- Devi2Diva: An Emotional Self-Care Book For Women
- Sparkle and Shine: Energy Healing Adventures for Kids